[ovirt-users] Multiple Networks on Self Hosted Engine

Alan Murrell alan at murrell.ca
Sat Aug 8 03:46:46 UTC 2015

On 07/08/2015 9:39 AM, Brent Miles wrote:
> I am trying to install RHEVM 3.5 Self Hosted Engine. I have multiple vlan
> interfaces on the host that I would also like to have available on the
> self hosted engine.

Out of curiousity, what is the use-case for this?

> vm is installed. Any advise on doing this?

The short answer is you can't do this.

I went through this some time ago, except my use-case was a firewall
routing for multiple VLANs, with all the VLANs on a single interface.
This is a common scenario in our current VMware deployments.

VM (guest) interfaces cannot handle VLAN routing.  It has to do
something with in order to that, the whole network layer needs to be
opened up tot he VM needing the access, and that poses a security risk.
  My explanation is probably a bit wrong, but there was a good
discussion about it on my thread:

<http://lists.ovirt.org/pipermail/users/2014-January/thread.html#20101>

My thread is the one that is "[Users] Networking questions (LONG)"

I am currently looking into using the Neutron appliance, since it uses
openVswitch, and may be able to do what we were originally looking to do
(though we have run into a bit of a roadblock with that at the moment as
far as getting the Neutron appliance working on our lab host)

Regards,

Alan