[ovirt-users] Setting up oVirt for the first time

Nir Soffer nsoffer at redhat.com
Thu Dec 3 21:21:24 UTC 2015

On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 11:59 PM, Gervais de Montbrun
<gervais at demontbrun.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've done a lot of reading and lots of comparison of different hypervisors
> and tools and have decided that oVirt would be the best option. My initial
> use case is a not too new server that I will setup to run multiple
> development environments for the devs here, but I wanted something that will
> scale out to production as the vm infrastructure, hardware, etc. grows here.
>
> I'll soon have a second server to run my vm's on and want to setup a
> self-hosted engine. I'm trying to find the most recent version of a how-to
> on the same. I found a presentation showing off how much easier it is to do
> this in oVirt 3.6 but can't find the correct docs. I seem to always end up
> with 3.5 or older versions. Can someone point me at a how-to of how to best
> achieve this.
>
> Also, while I have you all here... :-)
> Is it possible to setup the hypervisor hosts themselves as NFS servers to
> create Storage (I realize that this will play havoc with the HA). We do have
> an NFS server that we will be upgrading to add storage and faster drives,
> but I was thinking that I may be able to use the internal storage of the
> hypervisors themselves as a short term stopgap and then migrate vm's to the
> upgraded NFS server later. Will that even work, or will it break somehow?

It is maybe not optimal, but it should work. Not sure if anyone is working
with such setting, so you may have unique issues that nobody solved yet.

Separating storage from the hypervisor will give you better performance
and reliability, and a more standard configuration that will be easier to
manage and support.

You can move the storage later to another server and export the vms.

Nir