[ovirt-users] Migration from VirtualBox to oVirt (do's and don'ts)

Michal Skrivanek michal.skrivanek at redhat.com
Fri Dec 4 16:03:25 UTC 2015

> On 04 Dec 2015, at 14:16, Alexander Wels <awels at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> On Friday, December 04, 2015 03:03:25 PM Kiril L wrote:
>> As it seems a new server will have to be deployed soon. There is
>> almost no budget and i cannot afford more then one machine.
>>
>> Because of that i was wondering if it would be possible to use
>> VirtualBox (for now) and later migrate to oVirt (when I manage to get
>> a permission)?
>>

> Any particular reason you want to use virtual box? Why not do KVM with virt
> manager. That should be a painless conversion to oVirt since the format is the
> same.

Let alone there is much less overhead if the machine specs is not that great and there are no other hosts available

Either way, importing KVM/libvirt VMs are currently a bit cumbersome (3.6 supports v2v from VMware only), but doable with few workarounds, and it’s certainly safer than VMware or VirtuaBox