[ovirt-users] Migration from VirtualBox to oVirt (do's and don'ts)

Diego Remolina dijuremo at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 16:20:46 UTC 2015

To my knowledge there is no easy way to import VMs from virtualbox into
ovirt/RHEV. I asked RH support (with a contract) and they said it is not
supported.

The way I did it is very painful, so I can tell you it is possible.

1. Use clonezilla ISO and boot your virtualbox vm from that ISO. Use
clonezilla to create an image to a share (samba or nfs)

2. Create the new VM in ovirt/RHEV and the virtual drive. Boot from
clonezilla and restore the image to the new virtual drive.

I tested this on Linux guests. For windows guests you may need to somehow
add the ovirt drivers to the image under virtualbox prior to cloning it.

Diego