[ovirt-users] CentOS 7.1 and virt-v2v

Shahar Havivi shaharh at redhat.com
Mon Dec 7 18:03:45 UTC 2015

On 07.12.15 11:19, CLSA Mcmaster wrote:
> Greetings
>
> I am new to both CentOS and oVirt. I have been hoping to migrate some
> virtual machines from VMware to oVirt and I have hit a wall.
>
> CentOS 7.1 does not include the tool virt-v2v with the libguestfs-tools
> package. I have enabled the CR repository and upgraded but no luck. I have
> attempted to compile but the dependency whack-a-mole process wore me down
> and I eventually hot another wall with supermin not being "new enough". I
> tried to compile that and ran into more dependency issues.
Hi Sean,
For virt-v2v compilation issue you can ask at libguestfs at redhat.com mailing
list.

> Frankly, I am at the point of throwing in the towel but I'm hoping someone
> can offer advise or insight on obtaining the tool through other means. I
> would also be open to importing guests through another method. For example,
> the oVirt interface has a utility to import OVA files. Is that VMware
> created OVA files? The dialogue has host and path. Is the path to be on the
> host or the engine? Can it be any path?
Upstream ovirt git://gerrit.ovirt.org/ovirt-engine have support for importing
OVA files that was exported from vShpere 5.5 and 6.0 as well as connecting to
a running esxi listing and importing the VMs that are in down state.

The OVA file must be accessed by the importing host with permissions 36:36(NFS
mount will work as well).

To access the import VMs feature simply go to the VMs tab and click on the
import button there you will be able to select the import source (VMware/OVA
etc).

More information about virt-v2v integration with oVirt can be found in its
feature page: http://www.ovirt.org/Features/virt-v2v_Integration

 Shahar.