[ovirt-users] hot plug memory in el7

Nathanaël Blanchet blanchet at abes.fr
Wed Dec 9 13:54:28 UTC 2015

Le 08/12/2015 11:43, Michal Skrivanek a écrit :

> On 08 Dec 2015, at 11:20, Yaniv Dary <ydary at redhat.com
> <mailto:ydary at redhat.com>> wrote:
>

>> Yaniv Dary Technical Product Manager Red Hat Israel Ltd. 34 Jerusalem
>> Road Building A, 4th floor Ra'anana, Israel 4350109 Tel : +972 (9)
>> 7692306 8272306 Email: ydary at redhat.com <mailto:ydary at redhat.com> IRC
>> : ydary
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 2:03 AM, Nathanaël Blanchet <blanchet at abes.fr
>> <mailto:blanchet at abes.fr>> wrote:
>>
>>     Hi all,
>>
>>     I may miss something but according to
>>     http://www.ovirt.org/Features/Hot_Plug_Memory, ovirt 3.6 was
>>     supposed to support the hot plug memory feature. Nothing happens
>>     in reality when increasing memory on a running vm with centos7.
>>     I found this :
>>     http://lists.ovirt.orgpipermail/kimchi-devel/2015-June/010714.html,
>>     and it seems that el7.1 can't support the feature because of its
>>     libvirt version (1.2.8) while the required one is 1.2.14.
>>     I didn't test, but I guess F22 supports it.
>>     Is there any chance that el7.2 would support it with a backported
>>     libvirtd?
>>

>> It does support it, but only hot-plug not hot-unplug.
>>
>>     Or will a dedicated libvirt rhev package be released so as the
>>     downstream to support it (like qemu-kvm for live snapshot some
>>     time ago)?
>>     Documentation and limitation of the libvirt version for hot plug
>>     memory are difficult to find in the ovirt wiki and more generally
>>     on the web.
>>     Maybe the feature has been postponed to a 3.6.z release?
>>

>> I works with fedora and you can use it currently with this feature.
>
> It works on centos too, qemu-kvm-ev 2.3 we distribute in ovirt repo
Hello, no qemu-kvm-ev 2.3 is not enough:
[root at fuji ~]# qemu-img --version
qemu-img version 2.3.0 (qemu-kvm-ev-2.3.0-29.1.el7), Copyright (c)
2004-2008 Fabrice Bellard
and
vdsm-4.17.10.1-0.el7.centos.noarch

I get this error message each time I try to hot add memory :
Dec  9 11:18:00 fuji journal: unsupported configuration: unknown device
type 'memory'

I tried to restart vdsmd but it is the same, even on other hosts.

any help will be appreciated, thank you.

>>     Thank you for your help

Nathanaël Blanchet

Supervision réseau
Pôle Infrastrutures Informatiques