[ovirt-users] VM migration fails when hardware node fails

Bill James bill.james at j2.com
Thu Dec 10 23:13:53 UTC 2015

We are testing our new ovirt installation. We notice that if I shutdown
a hardware node that the VM's do not migrate off and don't start up
after the node is restarted.
Its a 3 node cluster with the ovirt-engine on a 4th host.

centos 7.1.1503
ovirt-engine-3.6.0.3-1.el7.centos.noarch
glusterfs-3.7.5-1.el7.x86_64

High Availability box is checked, Priority = High.

2015-12-10 11:43:34,251 WARN
[org.ovirt.engine.core.dal.dbbroker.auditloghandling.AuditLogDirector]
(org.ovirt.thread.pool-8-thread-42) [5f8883ec] Correlation ID: 5d94dbf7,
Job ID: 83159d5a-0ab9-4f1b-afbc-e5c2fcbb6e04, Call Stack: null, Custom
Event ID: -1, Message: Failed to migrate VM billjov2.test.j2noc.com to
Host ovirt3.test.j2noc.com . Trying to migrate to another Host.
2015-12-10 11:43:49,137 INFO
[org.ovirt.engine.core.vdsbroker.VmAnalyzer]
(DefaultQuartzScheduler_Worker-87) [5f8883ec] VM
'f67a4f38-bb4b-460f-81ea-10ecae60edcc'(billjov2.test.j2noc.com) moved
from 'MigratingFrom' --> 'Up'
2015-12-10 11:43:49,518 WARN
[org.ovirt.engine.core.dal.dbbroker.auditloghandling.AuditLogDirector]
(org.ovirt.thread.pool-8-thread-4) [5f8883ec] Correlation ID: 5d94dbf7,
Job ID: 83159d5a-0ab9-4f1b-afbc-e5c2fcbb6e04, Call Stack: null, Custom
Event ID: -1, Message: Failed to migrate VM billjov2.test.j2noc.com to
Host ovirt1.test.j2noc.com . Trying to migrate to another Host.

Migrating live works just fine.

I haven't found anywhere where it says why it failed when node is down.
Any ideas on why it is failing? And why VM's don't start when node is up?

Cloud Services for Business www.j2.com
j2 | eFax | eVoice | FuseMail | Campaigner | KeepItSafe | Onebox

This email, its contents and attachments contain information from j2 Global, Inc. and/or its affiliates which may be privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. The information is intended to be for the addressee(s) only. If you are not an addressee, any disclosure, copy, distribution, or use of the contents of this message is prohibited. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender by reply e-mail and delete the original message and any copies. (c) 2015 j2 Global, Inc. All rights reserved. eFax, eVoice, Campaigner, FuseMail, KeepItSafe, and Onebox are registered trademarks of j2 Global, Inc. and its affiliates.