[ovirt-users] Migrating (or Deploying) Hosted Engine to second host from AMD -> Intel

Josh josh at bnhtech.com
Mon Dec 21 07:50:19 UTC 2015

Hi,

I am currently running a Ovirt 3.6 host + Hosted Engine (both Centos 7) on
an AMD based computer (AMD_HOST). I recently purchased a second server
which is running an Intel processor and want to move all the VM's + Hosted
Engine to this second server (INTEL_HOST). I was wondering what the proper
procedure to do this would be. I have attempted a few things but nothing is
successfully working. I have added and activated the INTEL_HOST through the
Hosted Engine UI but since the AMD_HOST is AMD based and the second is
Intel based I had to create a separate cluster (INTEL_CLUSTER). I can move
all VM's to this new cluster but have not figured out how to get a Hosted
Engine working on INTEL_HOST.

Attempting to force migration of the Hosted Engine to INTEL_CLUSTER fails
with the following:
Cannot migrate VM. There is no host that satisfies current scheduling
constraints. See below for details:
The host INTEL_HOST did not satisfy internal filter HA because it is not a
Hosted Engine host..

Attempting to deploy a second hosted engine also runs into errors
(hosted-engine --deploy). After downloading the answers.conf file from
AMD_HOST, setup fails because of a different process type/family. I
manually downloaded the answers.conf file and changed the processor type
but setup validation fails because the path to the hosted engine metadata
does not exist.

hosted-engine --deploy --config-append=answers.conf
 [ ERROR ] Failed to execute stage 'Setup validation': failed to read
metadata: [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
'/rhev/data-center/mnt/<nfs_mount>/<he_uuid>/ha_agent/hosted-engine.metadata'
[ INFO  ] Stage: Clean up

This metadata file points to /var/run/vdsm/storage/<he_uuid>/<more
uuids...> but the he_uuid folder does not exist. I suspect this path
doesn't exist because the storage domain is mapped for AMD_CLUSTER's hosted
engine and cannot be referenced by another cluster. vdsClient does list the
storage domain info though on the INTEL_HOST.

vdsClient -s 0 getStorageDomainInfo <he_uuid>
        uuid = <he_uuid>
        version = 3
        role = Regular
        remotePath = <nfs_path>
        type = NFS
        class = Data
        pool = []
        name = hosted_storage

The next steps I was going to take was to backup the hosted engine, setting
up INTEL_HOST, and restoring the backed up hosted engine but I'm not sure
if this will work since it will be restored on a different host. The next
option was to just export all VM's, setup INTEL_HOST and a new hosted
engine from scratch, and import all VM's, though I would prefer not to have
to do this.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to make this move? I would
simply like to move my Ovirt installation onto the INTEL_HOST. I thought I
would be able to add the second host, migrate all data over, and remove the
first host, but this procedure is getting hung up on dealing with the
hosted engine.

Thanks,
Josh