[ovirt-users] How to add a Gluster storage domain on hyper-converged?

Will Dennis wdennis at nec-labs.com
Thu Dec 24 02:54:05 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I have a three-node hyper-converged oVirt datacenter running; now I need to add my first storage domain. I had prepped for this before installing oVirt by creating two distributed Gluster volumes with 3x replicas (one for the hosted engine, one for VM storage) -

[root at ovirt-node-01 ~]# gluster volume info | grep -e "Name" -e "Type" -e "Number"
Volume Name: engine
Type: Distributed-Replicate
Number of Bricks: 2 x 3 = 6
Volume Name: vmdata
Type: Distributed-Replicate
Number of Bricks: 2 x 3 = 6

Now I'd like to use the "vmdata" volume for my storage domain. When in webadmin I select "New Domain" I get a dialog that lets me select GlusterFS as the storage type, but then requires a "Use host:" setting, and a path. Is it possible for me to select one of my oVirt hosts (they all have the 'vmdata' volume), and then use "localhost:/vmdata" for the path? Or will this not work?

I know this isn't officially supported yet, but if I can get it to work somehow, that'd be great :)  It's a non-production (PoC) setup, so the cost of failure should be low... That said, I don't want to trash my rig and have to redo the whole thing all over ;)

Thanks,
Will