[ovirt-users] HE (3.6) on gluster storage, chicken and egg status

Roy Golan rgolan at redhat.com
Sun Dec 27 19:13:59 UTC 2015

On Sun, Dec 27, 2015 at 7:07 PM, Fil Di Noto <fdinoto at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've managed to get hosted-engine running but could use some direction
> for what comes next.

> All hosts are in default/default datacenter/cluster
> All 4 hosts are running glusterd
> HE is installed on glusterfs volume, replica 3, on hosts 1,2, and 3. (
> started with replica 4, but removed 4th brick to satisfy HE --deploy)

> Datacenter is not initialized
>
> Issues:
> Attach hosted_storage to Default datacenter fails
> New volume dialog doesn't allow me to select a datacenter (list is empty)
>
> Questions:
> 1. Why doesn't replica 4 work as a glusterfs volume, is this just
> because of the installer or is there a more fundamental reason?
> 2. I assume the reason I can't create new volumes is because I don't
> have a data storage domain configured yet. I want all of my data
> storage to be glusterfs. How do I escape this chicken/egg puzzle?

 No chicken and egg here I think. You want a volume to be used as your
master data domain and creating a new volume in a new gluster-cluster is
independent of your datacenter status.

You mentioned your hosts are on default cluster - so make sure your cluster
support gluster service (you should have picked gluster as a service during
engine install)

3. What question should I be asking that I am not?