[ovirt-users] Self-hosted engine: Host cannot activate - network issues

Yedidyah Bar David didi at redhat.com
Tue Dec 29 07:29:53 UTC 2015

On Tue, Dec 29, 2015 at 4:15 AM, Alan Murrell <lists at murrell.ca> wrote:
> I am attempting to install oVirt 3.6 on a CentOS7 host.  it is a single
> server, so I am trying to install a self-hosted engine.  I am able to
> install oVirt 3.5 self-hosted engine, but am having some problems doing it
> with 3.6.
>
> Everything appears to go fine; the engine-setup completes successfully.  On
> the host, I pressed"1" to indicate engine-setup was complete, and it can
> connect to the webadmin but the host never becomes operational.
>
> I am able to log in to the webadmin, and indeed the host is in a
> non-operational state.  When I click on the host then click on the "Virtual
> networks" tab, all my interfaces are showing a red arrow.
>
> When I click on "Setup Host Networks", my "ovirtmgmt" network is unassigned.
> Believing this to be why my host is not operational (since it is under
> "Required"), I assigned it to my management interface, but the interfaces
> still remain red.  In addition, the "ovirtmgmt" network does have a green
> arrow, but also the icon indicating "Out of sync".  If I click on "Sync All
> Networks", I get the following error:
>
> "Error while executing action SyncAllHostNetworks: Network is currently
> being used"
>
> which makes sense, since "ovirtmgmt" is assigned/in use.  I am unable to
> unassign ovirtmgmt.
>
> Current status is this:
>
>   - All network interfaces are showing the red "down" arrow
>   - "ovirtmgmt" is assigned to my management NIC, but indicating that it is
> out of sync
>   - I am unable to unassign the "ovirtmgmt" network (or at least, if I do,
> the "OK" button is greyed out)
>
> I could destroy the engine VM and go through the setup again, with the idea
> of once it is installed and waiting for the host to become operational, I
> could do a "Sync All Networks" and see if the networks turn green and go
> from there.
>
> I wanted to see what sort of insight I could get from here first.  I am not
> sure what logs would be useful to you, so let me know what you want to see
> and I and make them available (I will likely zip them up and post a link)

from host:
/var/log/ovirt-hosted-engine-*/* (-setup and -ha)
/var/log/vdsm/*

from engine:
/var/log/ovirt-engine/*
/var/log/ovirt-engine/host-deploy/*

If last one is empty, it means the engine did not manage to get
host-deploy logs. Please check and try to copy what you find from /tmp
of the host while waiting for host-deploy ("Waiting for the host to
become operational").

> Something else I could try if this becomes a "puzzler" is to do a 3.5.x
> self-hosted engine then perform an in-place upgrade to 3.6 and see if that
> works?  I would rather try to help make a direct 3.6 install work, though...

Did you principally do exactly the same thing in 3.5 and 3.6?
In both cases just had a simple network interface (no vlan/bonding/whatever)
and input it when asked?

What exact versions (OS and ovirt)?

I also changed the subject.

Best,