[ovirt-users] ovirt and glusterfs setup

Bill Dossett bill.dossett at pb.com
Wed Feb 18 06:32:38 EST 2015

Hi,

I'm in at the deep end...

Looking for some advice on if this is possible - and what version I should try I with if so.

We are a heavily VMware oriented company... but I am trying to get RHEV/oVirt in the door.  Honestly I would prefer oVirt, but if they insist on enterprise support I go to Redhat.

So I have had a play with VMware VSAN and know how it works.  I am trying to more or less replicate this setup using open source.

So VSAN uses 3 or more ESXi nodes, with local harddisks as the storage medium as a virtual SAN.  The SAN performance is quite high as you put at least 1 SSD in each node.

What is nice is you don't have the NAS element here.  VMs are on the local storage, which is partially SSD, so performance is quite good.

I went to a Redhat presentation on Redhat storage and GlusterFS and basically this acts as a big software defined NAS which does some pretty cool things, but that's not exactly what I need.

I would like to build oVirt on top of CentOS Oss... that have local storage in them that is distributed and redundant in the event of a node failure.

And I probably need to try and build this in a lab under Fusion on my Mac Book pro to begin with anyway (that bit I'm farily confident with) and if I get that working can probably get some older kit to try it out for real as a PoC to few people.

So, I've set up oVirt before that should be ok, I haven't setup Gluster is there any documents that would help me down this road and make sure I start out using the best version.

Any advice or pointers would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Bill Dossett
Systems Architect

Tech Central - Global Engineering Services

T +44 (0)1923 279353
M +44 (0)777 590 8612
b<mailto:jeff.gonzalez at pb.com>ill.dossett at pb.com<mailto:ill.dossett at pb.com>
pitneybowes.com

Pitney Bowes
6 Hercules Way | Leavesden | WD25 7GS | UK

Learn more about Global Engineering Services<http://teamsite.inside.pb.com/sites/TCPPM/GES/SitePages/Home.aspx>

In Engineering?
Raise a ticket via Remedy Anywhere [HERE<teamsite.inside.pb.com/sites/TCPPM/GES/Lists/Create%20Incident/newIncident.aspx>] takes less than a minute

CloudForms User Guide available [HERE<https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6219441/ManageIQ%20-%20User%20Manual%20PB%20v5.pdf>]