[ovirt-users] 3.5 -> 3.5.1 upgrade issue

Yedidyah Bar David didi at redhat.com
Sun Feb 1 06:54:31 UTC 2015

----- Original Message -----

Why do you think so? There is no such package. It should have simply
gave an error message. Did you mean 'yum upgrade ovirt-engine-setup'?
This is fine.

> Anyway, once everything got downloaded and installed, I ran a screen
> session then ran 'engine-setup'.  I answered the questions (leaving
> mostly the defaults) and let it go.

Before starting such an upgrade, you should set hosted-engine maintenance
to global. Please see [1]. Otherwise, when engine-setup takes down the
engine, the ha daemons consider this a problem and after some time try
to migrate the machine. At this point, what do you get from:
hosted-engine --vm-status
on the hosts?

[1] http://www.ovirt.org/Hosted_Engine_Howto#Upgrade_Hosted_Engine

> The process usually gets to '[ INFO ] Deploying Jasper' then I lose my
> SSH session.  No problem, I can just log right back in and connect to my
> screen session, right?  Unfortunately, whatever causes my SSH session to
> drop also seems to kill my screen session, as there are none to be found.

Even though you should have set global maint, not sure this is expected.
Was the engine VM rebooted (check uptime)?

> I cannot see anything useful in the logs for why the sessions got
> killed, but even after I lose the session, I can connect tot he webGUI,
> though it is still on 3.5.0.1 and if I click on the "Reports" link, it
> says the Reports module is not installed.
>
> I tried connecting to the console of the Engine (did I mention it is a
> self-hosted engine?), but the VNC connection cannot seem to connect, so
> I can't even run it from the console (even though the 'engine-setup'
> process shuts down the engine services, at least running it from the
> console should allow it to finish since it won't kill an SSH session)
>
> Any ideas on either what could be going on here and/or how to
> successfully run 'engine-setup'?

If gloabl maint isn't enough, please post somewhere all relevant logs -

from engine:
/var/log/ovirt-engine (especially engine/server.log and setup/*)
/var/log/messages

from hosts:
/var/log/ovirt-hosted-engine-ha/*
/var/log/vdsm/vdsm.log

If the engine vm did stay up, but the screen session died, I can't think
of many reasons for that - perhaps OOM? How much ram does it have? Note
that engine+dwh+reports need considerably more ram than the engine alone.

Best,
--
Didi