[ovirt-users] Hosted Engine Setup

Michael Schefczyk michael at schefczyk.net
Sun Feb 1 23:55:53 UTC 2015

Dear All,

Tying hard to get a hosted engine setup using Centos 7, I remain stuck after many tries setting up the network.

Enclosed please find (a) the ifconfig of the host called linuxhost1 and (b) screenshots of the network issue as seen from the hosted engine.

- I have a "HostedEngine" on host "hosted_engine_1" as I did not change the defaults (Hosted Engine Network.pdf, page 1)

- The host thinks that one of the logical networks defined is unreachable by the host (Hosted Engine Network.pdf, page 2)

- The host actually has four NICs (linuxhost1 ifconfig.pdf): enps0s20f0 through f3. The latter two are part of bondC leading to brC with the address 192.168.25.30. The cables are connected to the other host of this two box setup. The first two NICs are part of bond0 leading to (a) ovirtmgmt with address 192.168.12.30 and (b) another VLAN for other purposes (br0.16). This does work well on linuxhost1, i.e. one can ping and surf outbound and ssh / tigervnc in via 192.168.12.30. I did name the major bridge ovirtmgmt after endless trying. Of course, linuxhost1 and the engine ovirt1 can ping each other with no difficulties whatsoever.

- In the web interface of the hosted engine, however (Hosted Engine Network.pdf, page 3) the required network "ovirtmgmt" is initially not connected to bond0 (while it is in reality connected, as ifconfig shows). When dragging ovirtmtgt to the arrow pointing to bond0, it does not work. The error message is "Bad bond name, it must begin with the prefix 'bond' followed by a number." This is easy to understand, as bond0 is a combination of "bond" and the number zero.

Please point me to the right direction.

Thanks & Regards,

Michael