[ovirt-users] Backup solution using the API

Soeren Malchow soeren.malchow at mcon.net
Wed Feb 11 17:30:48 UTC 2015

Dear all,

i am a little lost, i tried quite a few things with the snapshots, so far with python scripts I can iterate through the existing machines, take one, make a snapshot and all this.

However, there are 2 problems I can not get around:

1. even when on 3.5.1 I can not delete a snapshot on a running VM, if I understood that correctly this relies on the Live Merge Feature where the code is available in vdsm already but it needs a certain libvirt version !?!?
So question here is, can I delete a snapshot or not ? can I use only the rest API not python  (excuse me I am not a developer)

2. when I attach a snapshot to another virtual machine, how do I do the backup then ? Does anybody have this already ?

The environment is running on CentOS 7 (hypervisors), Centos 6 (hosted engine), the ovirt is on version 3.5.1, also we use gluster as a storage backend where the gluster servers are managed within the hosted engine in a separate cluster exporting the storage only.

Regards
Soeren