[ovirt-users] Fenced hosts VM's never migrate

Martin Perina mperina at redhat.com
Wed Feb 11 18:03:41 UTC 2015

----- Original Message -----

IPMI interface should work even if server is turned off. But of course
it needs power, so if you loose power to it, it cannot work.
For this case you would need another (secondary) fencing agent (for
example APC) which will control the power for server and its IPMI
interface.

> > Could you please execute following command from vmh-01 or vmh-03
> > to test PM agent on vmh-02
> >
> >    fence_ipmilan -a <IP> -l <USER> -p <PASSWORD> -o status -v -P
> >
> > where <IP>, <USER> and <PASSWORD> contains values valid for vmh-02?
>
> Here's the result (from both):
>
> Getting status of IPMI:10.9.1.11...Spawning: '/usr/bin/ipmitool -I
> lanplus -H '10.9.1.11' -U 'ADMIN' -P '[set]' -v chassis power status'...
> Chassis power = On
> Done
>
> Of course, the server is now up and running so this is expected.

Yes this is the correct result. And you should get result

  Chassis power = Off

when server is turned off.

> > Could you please send us also vdsm.log from machines vmh-01 and
> > vmh-03 so we could investigate details of fence agents execution
> > failures?
>
> See attached.

I looked at the vdsm logs and I wasn't able to find any additional
error details. But it looks like a bug, that fence agent status
command returned error code 1 and in engine we reported this as success.

So could you please file a new bug with above logs attached, reproducing
steps and also following versions:

Host where engine is running:
  ovirt-engine

Host vmh-01: