[ovirt-users] Backup solution using the API

Adam Litke alitke at redhat.com
Wed Feb 11 18:09:22 UTC 2015

On 11/02/15 17:30 +0000, Soeren Malchow wrote:
>Dear all,
>
>i am a little lost, i tried quite a few things with the snapshots, so
>far with python scripts I can iterate through the existing machines,
>take one, make a snapshot and all this.
>
>However, there are 2 problems I can not get around:
>
>1. even when on 3.5.1 I can not delete a snapshot on a running VM, if
>I understood that correctly this relies on the Live Merge Feature
>where the code is available in vdsm already but it needs a certain
>libvirt version !?!?  So question here is, can I delete a snapshot or
>not ? can I use only the rest API not python  (excuse me I am not a
>developer)

I can answer this one at least.  For now, Centos 7 is lacking a new
enough version of libvirt to support Live Merge (> 1.2.7).  The
virt-preview repository for Fedora is shipping a newer libvirt.  You
can check if vdsm will support live merge by executing the following
on the host in question:

   sudo vdsClient -s 0 getVdsCaps | grep liveMerge

RHEL 7.1 will be shipping a version with the neccessary backports to
support live merge so I imagine Centos 7.1 will pick those up
automatically?

--
Adam Litke