[ovirt-users] Directly connect NIC or other cards to VM?

Lior Vernia lvernia at redhat.com
Mon Feb 16 08:15:41 UTC 2015

Hi David,

On 13/02/15 01:28, David Smith wrote:
> Is there a way to directly connect a specific device (ie, NIC) to a
> particular VM?
>
> I've figured out how to map a specific network interface to a VM, thats
> one step, but in the end I may need direct access to the PCI device itself.

I think this 3.6 feature might do exactly what you want:
http://www.ovirt.org/Features/hostdev_passthrough

It's gonna be a while before 3.6 is out, but once the feature is merged
it'll be available if you install the nightly snapshot. CCing Martin
Polednik, the feature owner.

> Second to that, for network interfaces mapped to a particular VM, is
> there a way for the VM to be able to properly detect physical link state
> of that interface? Right now that's a 'configurable option' inside
> network interface settings on the VM in the manager (ie, plugged, not
> plugged, and link state up /down)

If I'm not mistaken, once you have direct access to the PCI device
you'll be able to query for its actual state using e.g. ethtool.