[ovirt-users] ifcfg files generated with ONBOOT=no

Dan Kenigsberg danken at redhat.com
Wed Feb 18 15:00:56 UTC 2015

On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 11:38:23AM +0100, Nathanaël Blanchet wrote:
> Nobody has answered to my question, but I've just realized that the
> ONBOOT=no directive for ifcfg-bondX/bridgeX was already present in el 6 and
> not only since el7.
> Does it mean that it is VDSM which deals with booting these interfaces and
> not the regular ifcfg network daemon by itself?
> I'm just trying to understand how it works.
>
> Le 18/02/2015 09:14, Nathanaël Blanchet a écrit :
> >Bridges are not present after rebooting the host as expected.
> >Please, can someone confirm it is an expected behaviour?
> >
> >Le 17/02/2015 16:33, Nathanaël Blanchet a écrit :
> >>Hi all,
> >>
> >>When adding networks to my el7 hosts (accurately vlans), ifcfg files are
> >>generated with the ONBOOT FLAG to no... Seems that my vlans will not
> >>start on the next boot.
> >>I already set the flag to yes, but it seems no to be the right way.

As of 3.5.z, Vdsm uses "unified persistence" for its network
configuration. It tries to depend less on ifcfg files (which are
Fedora/Centos/RH-specific, and old), and just sets ONBOOT=no on each of
them.

However, when the system boots, vdsm takes the network definition from
/var/lib/vdsm/persistence/netconf and re-applies them on the host.

This makes the networks available after boot, albeit not via
initscripts' usual mechanism.

Now you report that this is not the case; i.e., we have a bug. So I'd
love to hear more. What's in your /var/lib/vdsm/persistence/netconf ?
what's the output of `vdsClient -s 0 getVdsCaps` after boot?

Is /var/run/vdsm/nets_restored created post boot?
What happens if it is removed, and `vdsm-tool restore-nets` is called as
root ?

Regards,
Dan.