[ovirt-users] ovirt and glusterfs setup

George Skorup george at mwcomm.com
Wed Feb 18 19:50:12 UTC 2015

Bill,

I have done exactly what you're looking to do. I was trying to mimic
vSAN as well. They had VSA for a while which was acceptable licensing
costs, but that was replaced with vSAN which is ridiculously expensive
for an extra-small business.

I have a four node cluster with 1TB of storage each. Gluster is
configured with replica 4. So basically I have 1TB of usable storage,
which is fine for my needs. VM migration, Gluster replication, hosted
engine and all that works fine. Performance is generally fine, even with
only dual LACP bonded 1GbE NICs in each node. I can do what I want with
networking to fit our NOC and office network environment.

I have been playing with this for about three weeks. Over the weekend, I
had a handful of VMs running, including the hosted engine. They were
pretty much sitting idle doing nothing. I came in Monday and found
everything offline. No power outages, network/switch didn't fail or
reboot, none of the hardware reset. What I found happened was that
glusterd went nuts on two of the nodes (I have no idea why). Gluster was
spitting out logs like crazy, /var filled up, then RAM and swap was
depleted. Two gluster processes/hosts offline out of the four meant
quorum broke, everything came to a halt. I was unable to recover the
gluster logs since they had to be deleted to free up space in /var.

I was able to get everything fixed and back online in about 2-1/2 hours.
So this is impossible to put into production. Storage is the weakest
link and mostly likely to fail, which in this case it did.

I do not recommend this configuration at all. A dedicated machine for
the engine, dedicated hypervisors and dedicated storage nodes or a SAN
is needed for anything beyond experimentation.

I have zero knowledge of VMWare's vSAN, other than basic concepts, so I
cannot say the results would be similar.