[ovirt-users] Using gluster on other hosts?

Kaushal M kaushal at redhat.com
Fri Jan 9 07:43:33 UTC 2015

Hey Will,

It seems to me you are trying manage GlusterFS from oVirt, and trying to get your multi-network setup to work. As Sahina mentioned already, this is not currently possible as oVirt doesn't have the required support.

If you want to make this work right now, I suggest you manage GlusterFS manually. You could do the following,

- Install GlusterFS on both the hosts and setup a GlusterFS trusted storage pool using the 'gluster peer probe' commands. Run 'gluster peer probe gfs2' from node1 (and the reverse just for safety)
- Create a GlusterFS volume, 'gluster volume create <VOLUMENAME> gfs1:<BRICKPATH> gfs2:<BRICKPATH>; and start it, 'gluster volume start <VOLUMENAME>'.
After this you'll have GlusterFS setup on the particular network and you'll have volume ready to be added as a oVirt storage domain.

- Now setup oVirt on the nodes with the node* network.
- Add the gfs* network to oVirt. I'm not sure if this would be required, but you can try it anyway.
- Add the created GlusterFS volume as a storage domain using a gfs* address.

You should now be ready to begin using the new storage domain.

If you would want to expand the volume later, you will need to do it manually with an explicit 'gluster volume add-brick' command.

You could possible add the GlusterFS cluster to the oVirt interface, just so you can get stats and monitoring. But even then you shouldn't use the oVirt interface to do any management tasks.

Multi-network support for GlusterFS within oVirt is an upcoming feature, and Sahina can give you more details on when to expect it to be available.

Thanks,
Kaushal