[ovirt-users] 3.5 live merge findings and mysteries [was Re: Simple way to activate live merge in FC20 cluster]

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 15:34:36 UTC 2015

On Sun, Jan 4, 2015 at 2:31 PM, Sven Kieske <svenkieske at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Understand me, please. My note was about Release Notes page
> > misleading in respect with features' set and newcomers... but also
> > frequent users too
> >
> > At http://www.ovirt.org/OVirt_3.5_Release_Notes#Live_Merge  ones
> > reads:
> >
> > " Live Merge If an image has one or more snapshots, oVirt 3.5's
> > merge command will combine the data of one volume into another.
> > Live merges can be performed with data is pulled from one snapshot
> > into another snapshot. The engine can merge multiple disks at the
> > same time and each merge can independently fail or succeed in each
> > operation. "
> >
> > I think you have to mention that it is a restricted use case for
> > now... and specify that it works only for Fedora 20 and in that
> > case you have to manually modify the repo definition to install the
> > qemu packages from virt-preview to get the feature.
>
> This still is not fixed!
>
> I can already see the bugreports coming in, claiming live merge does
> not work, because the release notes are very misleading!
>
> Did nobody got the time to fix this?

I'm more than available to change it if my edit rights allow it.
But at the end I didn't see any clear answer from developers and/or infra
maintainers...
I think it is a crucial page, so I'd prefer one of them to do it or
explicitly answering here that we are right and we can go change it...

Gianluca