[ovirt-users] [STORAGE] Adding posix compliant FS

Julian De Marchi julian at jdcomputers.com.au
Thu Jan 8 05:06:23 UTC 2015

On 12/18/14 18:23, Gianluca Cecchi wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 7:12 AM, Vered Volansky <vered at redhat.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Hey Vered,

>> connect as
>> permissions
>> what
>>>
>>> Still failed mate after a chmod 36:36. The thing is though, it _does_
>>> mount the device for a moment before failing and unmounting it...
>> Is this the same behaviour as before?
>>

>>> [root at blade01 ~]# ls /dev/VolGroup/lv_images -lh
>>> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 Dec 15 16:52 /dev/VolGroup/lv_images -> ../dm-2
>>
>> I see /dev/VolGroup/lv_images are still root:root.
>> Please chown 36:36 as well.
>>
>> Please state the all the chown you tried.
>>

> Possibly a starting point for automating LVM device permissions setting is
>
> https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Logical_Volume_Manager_Administration/udev_device_manager.html
>
> and in particular the possibility to add, under /lib/udev/rules, a
> customized file based on the one found in
> /usr/share/doc/device-mapper/12-dm-permissions.rules
>
> Not tried myself though...

I don't think permissions for the device are the root cause of the
issue. The way I see it behave when I try and mount it is:

   vdsm will mount the device(If I'm quick I can see this with a LS). It
then tries to write some kind of test file(I'm guessing) and as the
mount point is still owned by root when vdsm tries to do the touch to
test it fails. Then vdsm backs out and I get the failed to add storage
error.

--julian