[ovirt-users] [Feature review] Select network to be used for glusterfs

Dan Kenigsberg danken at redhat.com
Mon Jan 12 15:22:32 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 02:59:50PM +0200, Lior Vernia wrote:

> On 12/01/15 14:44, Oved Ourfali wrote:
> > Hi Sahina,
> >
> > Some comments:
> >
> > 1. As far as I understand, you might not have an IP available immediately after setupNetworks runs (getCapabilities should run, but it isn't run automatically, afair).
> > 2. Perhaps you should pass not the IP but the name of the network? IPs might change.
>
> Actually, IP address can indeed change - which would be very bad for
> gluster functioning! I think moving networks or changing their IP
> addresses via Setup Networks should be blocked if they're used by
> gluster bricks.

In the suggested feature, there is no real storage "role". The "storage
role" title means only "default value for glusterfs IP".

For example, once a brick was created, nothing protects the admin from
accidently removing the storage network, or changing its IP address.

Another "proof" that this is not a real "role", is that it affects only
GUI: I am guessing that REST API would not make use of it at all. (maybe
I'm wrong; for sure, REST must be defined in the feature page)

Maybe that's the behavior we want. But alternatively, Engine can enforce
a stronger linkage between the brick to the network that it uses. When
adding a brick, the dialog would list available networks instead of the
specific IP. As long as the brick is being used, the admin would be
blocked/warned against deleting the network.

I'm missing a discussion regarding the upgrade path. If we would opt to
requiring a single storage role network in a cluster, in an upgraded
cluster the management network should take this role.