[ovirt-users] [Feature review] Select network to be used for glusterfs

Sahina Bose sabose at redhat.com
Tue Jan 13 08:18:07 UTC 2015

On 01/12/2015 06:21 PM, Lior Vernia wrote:
> Hi Sahina! :)
>
> Cool feature, and I think long-awaited by many users. I have a few comments:
>
> 1. In the "Add Bricks" dialog, it seems like the "IP Address" field is a
> list box - I presume the items contained there are all IP addresses
> configured on the host's interfaces.
>
> 1. a. May I suggest that this contain network names instead of IP
> addresses? Would be easier for users to think about things (they surely
> remember the meaning of network names, not necessarily of IP addresses).

> 1. b. If I correctly understood the mock-up, then configuring a "Storage
> Network" role only affects the default entry chosen in the list box. Is
> it really worth the trouble of implementing this added role? It's quite
> different than display/migration roles, which are used to determine what
> IP address to use at a later time (i.e. not when configuring the host),
> when a VM is run/migrated in the cluster.

If not for "Storage network" role, how would we default which network to
use. In fact, we are planning to remove the drop down to choose network
from the Add Brick UI, to avoid confusion and just use the network with
this role, if available - otherwise use the host address. (host_address
in vds_static)

Will update page accordingly

> 1. c. A word of warning: sometimes a host interface's IP address is
> missing in the engine - this usually happens when they're configured for
> the first time with DHCP, and the setup networks command returns before
> an IP address is allocated (this can later be resolved by refreshing
> host capabilities, there's a button for that). So when displaying items
> in the list box, you should really check that an IP address exists for
> each network.
>
> 2. "Storage Network": if you intend to keep this role in the feature (I
> don't think it adds a lot of functionality, see article 1b), it might be
> better to call it "Gluster Network" - otherwise people using virt mode
> might think this network is gonna be used to communicate with other
> types of storage domains.

Could this network be reused for other storage needs also. If not, we
can rename it "gluster network"