[ovirt-users] Low cost fencing/stonith devices

Daniel Helgenberger daniel.helgenberger at m-box.de
Fri Jan 16 17:52:54 UTC 2015

Hello Mario,

great you ask that, I am pretty interested myself.

On 16.01.2015 12:31, Mario Giammarco wrote:
> Hello,
> I ask this question again to see if there are some improvements.
>
> I am searching for a low cost stonith/fencing device for servers or hardware
> that has no ipmi/ilo on board.
>
> I see that there are some interesting products on the market like ubnt/mfi
> mpower that are controllable power outlets but there is no driver for them.
>
> In my use case WOL support will be enough (using it with ssh or shared storage
> fencing) but as far as I know WOL is not yet supported in ovirt.

Please see [1] - I enclose Martin: What is the status of the Future
Enhancements WOL; or better what needs to be done and how can we help?

I think we need a custom fence agent here, WOL in python is easily done
[3] and the MAC filed could be mapped to one of the configurable items.

Though I find it harder working with the fence_agent concept itself.
Atm, I did not have time to persue this subjct any futher.

> So is there some fencing device supported in 100/200$ price range?

One option would be networked PDU's [2] (here in Germany, they are
around 200 Euro), maybe you can get some used ones. I think there is a
list with supported devices though I cannot find it ATM.

If I get it correctly the idea would be to define the outlet as Power
Management, and switch it on via PMP. Configure the hosts to boot at
power restore. The host would be shutdown via SSH anyway; the PM device
only used for start up.

[1] http://www.ovirt.org/Features/HostPowerManagementPolicy
[2]
http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=AP7920
[3] https://pypi.python.org/pypi/wakeonlan/0.2.2

--
Daniel Helgenberger
m box bewegtbild GmbH

P: +49/30/2408781-22
F: +49/30/2408781-10

ACKERSTR. 19
D-10115 BERLIN

www.m-box.de  www.monkeymen.tv

Geschäftsführer: Martin Retschitzegger / Michaela Göllner
Handeslregister: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg / HRB 112767