[ovirt-users] ovirt 3.5 and power outages

Olivier Navas olivier.navas at sdis33.fr
Mon Jan 19 10:23:27 UTC 2015

Hi !

As you pointed, it wouldn't be safe if ovirt only tried to communicate with the host.

This is why Ovirt (and other cluster software) include a way to power cycle hosts. If host is not responding, for any reason (software or hardware failure), before cluster migrates vms, host will be fenced (power off and on again) by an other host in the cluster.

You need some special hardware to manage power cycling, and you need to configure it on "power management" section of host parameters.

On the HP servers we use, we can configure ILO as power management method. This way, Ovirt can control power of the hosts as if we used the server web interface to power cycle the server. It works very well for us (since ovirt 3.4 or 3.5) and does not require some additional hardware, but I think it will not work if a hardware failure has an impact on ILO hardware (don't know if it may happen).

You also can add some specific hardware to manage power supplies. I used to buy APC masterswitch (replaced by apc AP7900) for this purpose, but this requires some additional hardware and is not as convenient as ILO (IMHO).

In both cases, you have to ensure that you always provide power to your servers, your switches, and your power management hardware with dual power supplies, connected to different power lines, different UPS, and so on because if a single power failure can turn off both your server and your power cycle mechanism, then Ovirt won't be able to recover.