[ovirt-users] [ovirt-devel] oVirt 3.6 Feature: Cumulative Network Usage Statistics

Dan Kenigsberg danken at redhat.com
Mon Jan 26 13:45:56 UTC 2015

On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 01:40:06PM +0200, Lior Vernia wrote:
> Hello users and developers,
>
> Just put up a feature page for the aforementioned feature; in summary,
> to report total RX/TX statistics for hosts and VMs in oVirt. This has
> been requested several times on the users mailing list, and is
> especially useful for accounting in VDI deployments.
>
> You're more than welcome to review the feature page:
> http://www.ovirt.org/Features/Cumulative_RX_TX_Statistics

Sorry for the late review; I have a couple of questions/comments.
- What do you mean by "VDI use cases" in the "Benefit to oVirt sanpshot"
  section?
  Do you refer to hosting services who would like to charge their
  customers based on actual bandwidth usage?
- I've added another motivation: currently-reported rxRate/txRate
  can be utterly meaningless.

I don't see reference to nasty negative flows: what happens if a host
disappears? Or a VM? I suppose there's always a chance that some traffic
would go unaccounted for. But do you expect to extract this information
somehow? Either way, it should be mentioned as a caveat on the feature
page.

> Note that this only deals with network usage - it'll be great if we have
> similar features for CPU and disk usage!

There's a formal feature request about this:
    Bug 1172153 - [RFE] Collect CPU, IO and network accounting
    information

Dan