[ovirt-users] Foreman intergration

Jorick Astrego j.astrego at netbulae.eu
Fri Jan 30 13:37:15 UTC 2015

Would not be that hard to script something like this, but I personally
was thinking about an update scheduler myself. The scheduler stuff is
already there and the whole update mechanism is handled by
katello/subscription-manager.

With a smart update scheduler you could do lots of fancy stuff. Like
rolling out updates/patches over global deployments in pre-defined
patterns. You could then use %pre and %post hooks to run any custom
commands or API call's you like depending on "Host Group" and environment.

Tie in some reporting and faillure notifications and we all the admins
can be free to do others things instead of patching thousands of servers
by hand due to the latest glibc/openssl bug. If the scheduled rollout
works in test, it should be hands off in production.

Keep up the great work!

Cheers,

Jorick

On 01/30/2015 02:25 PM, Oved Ourfali wrote:
> Not at the moment. Foreman isn't aware that the host is used as a hypervisor in ovirt. Currently foreman allows to create foreman hosts in top of ovirt (you can use compute resources in foreman to do that), and from the ovirt side it allows you to add a new host taken from wither an existing foreman host, or to bare metal provision one. In the future we plan to allow adding vms through ovirt that will also be also added automatically to foreman, which will allow to assign this VM to some host group in foreman, which then will install different packaged, and set up stuff according to the host group definition.
>
> Details on the current integration is available at
>
> http://www.ovirt.org/Features/ForemanIntegration
>
> Oved
> On Jan 30, 2015 2:32 PM, Karli Sjöberg wrote: > > Hey all! > > One thing I am keen on exploring is the Foreman/oVirt integration. I > have a vision were that could be used to, as a first step, manage the > updating/patching of the Hosts in our datacenter, and if that turns out > successful, remove our current Puppet Dashboard as ENC in our main > Puppet Master and trade it in for The Foreman. > > The flow I imagined was to have Foreman tell oVirt engine to set a Host > in Maintenance, update all packages and reboot it, then when it´s back, > put it back to Active and move on to the next Host. > > Is that something that´s been worked on? > > /K > _______________________________________________ > Users mailing list > Users at ovirt.org > http://lists.ovirt.org/mailman/listinfo/users

Met vriendelijke groet, With kind regards,

Jorick Astrego

Netbulae Virtualization Experts

	Tel: 053 20 30 270 	info at netbulae.eu 	Staalsteden 4-3A 	KvK 08198180
 	Fax: 053 20 30 271 	www.netbulae.eu 	7547 TA Enschede 	BTW NL821234584B01