[ovirt-users] veam backup integration or equivalent.

Nathanaël Blanchet blanchet at abes.fr
Fri Jul 3 10:49:15 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I need advices about backing up vms.
At this point, I can count three possible levels of backup:

  * lun snapshot on a FC/iSCSI SAN, but we save the whole storage domain
  * vm snapshot with the qemu capabilities
  * file system backup with a system like rsnaphot

afaik, it will be possible to make LVM snapshot in the upcoming 3.6

To my mind the most convinient backup is the vm snapshot level, but the
backup API provided since 3.4 is difficult to use. At the end of
december, Lucas Vandroux (ovirt china) announciated the avaibility of
vm-backup-scheduler
(https://github.com/ovirt-china/vm-backup-scheduler), but I never
managed to make it work.

A colleague told me about veam backup for backing up at vm level, but it
seems to support only hyper-V and vmware. Does it exist some equivalent?

Good practices of senior sysadmin are welcome!

--
Nathanaël Blanchet

Supervision réseau
Pôle Infrastrutures Informatiques