[ovirt-users] Hosted Engine: Cannot initialise host

Alan Murrell lists at murrell.ca
Tue Jul 21 06:02:38 UTC 2015

I have installed a hosted engine setup on a single host.  The host is
running CentOS 7 and the engine is Centos 6.6.

Prior to running through the engine deployment, I created the
ifcfg-ovirtmgmt file and set my primary network interface, "eno1", as
part of that bridge.    I did this because when I have attempted
deployment in the past, the deployment ran into some problems creating
the 'ovirtmgmt' bridge.  I do recall during the deployment script, the
output did indicate that it saw the 'ovirtmgmt' bridge was already
present.  The deployment *seemed* to go OK.

Upon logging in to the admin portal, my host is not initialised; it has
a red "X".  The error indicated that the "ovirtmgmt" bridge was not
assigned to an interface.

When I click on the host then "Network Interfaces", all my network
interfaces are showing red "down" arrows (which makes sense if the host
is not initialised).  When I click on "Setup Network Interfaces", it
lists my physical interfaces on the left and on the right, under
"Unassigned Logical networks" is "ovirtmgmt".

I Assigned "ovirtmgmt" to interface "eno1", but when I click "OK", I get
the following message:

--- START ---
Error while executing action:

hosted_engine_1:
     * Network address must be specified when using static ip
--- END ---

I tried to edit "ovirtmgmt" and assign the static IP, but the same error
comes up.

Here are my files for 'ifcfg-eno1' and 'ifcfg-ovirtmgmt':

--- START ifcfg-ovirtmgmt ---
TYPE="Bridge"
BOOTPROTO="static"
DEVICE="ovirtmgmt"
ONBOOT="yes"
DELAY="0"
IPADDR="10.215.1.21"
NETMASK="255.255.255.0"
GATEWAY="10.215.1.1"
--- END ifcfg-ovirtmgmt ---

--- START ifcfg-eno1 ---
TYPE="Ethernet"
BOOTPROTO="none"
DEVICE="eno1"
ONBOOT="yes"
BRIDGE="ovirtmgmt"
--- END ifcfg-eno1 ---

Here is the output of 'brctl show':

--- START ---
;vdsmdummy;             8000.000000000000       no
ovirtmgmt               8000.fc4dd4f2e238       no              eno1
                                                         vnet0

It appears that the bridge exists, but the system (VDSM?) is not
recognising it nor able to create it.

Any ideas what the issue is?  If you need a look at something else,
please let me know.  I may not be able to post it until later (my server
is remote to me until Wednesday so I won;t have immediate access), but I
will post whatever else you need to have a look at.

Thanks! :-)

-Alan