[ovirt-users] Hosted Engine: Cannot initialise host

Yedidyah Bar David didi at redhat.com
Tue Jul 21 06:22:02 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jul 21, 2015 at 9:02 AM, Alan Murrell <lists at murrell.ca> wrote:
> I have installed a hosted engine setup on a single host.  The host is
> running CentOS 7 and the engine is Centos 6.6.
>
> Prior to running through the engine deployment, I created the
> ifcfg-ovirtmgmt file and set my primary network interface, "eno1", as part
> of that bridge.    I did this because when I have attempted deployment in
> the past, the deployment ran into some problems creating the 'ovirtmgmt'
> bridge.

If at all possible, please try that again. If there are still unsolved
bugs, we'd
like to know.

>  I do recall during the deployment script, the output did indicate
> that it saw the 'ovirtmgmt' bridge was already present.  The deployment
> *seemed* to go OK.

You might want to check/post also the output of 'vdsClient -s 0 getVdsCaps',
especially 'bridges', 'networks' and 'nics' there.

> Upon logging in to the admin portal, my host is not initialised; it has a
> red "X".  The error indicated that the "ovirtmgmt" bridge was not assigned
> to an interface.
>
> When I click on the host then "Network Interfaces", all my network
> interfaces are showing red "down" arrows (which makes sense if the host is
> not initialised).  When I click on "Setup Network Interfaces", it lists my
> physical interfaces on the left and on the right, under "Unassigned Logical
> networks" is "ovirtmgmt".
>
> I Assigned "ovirtmgmt" to interface "eno1", but when I click "OK", I get the
> following message:
>
> --- START ---
> Error while executing action:
>
> hosted_engine_1:
>     * Network address must be specified when using static ip
> --- END ---
>
> I tried to edit "ovirtmgmt" and assign the static IP, but the same error
> comes up.
>
> Here are my files for 'ifcfg-eno1' and 'ifcfg-ovirtmgmt':
>
> --- START ifcfg-ovirtmgmt ---
> TYPE="Bridge"
> BOOTPROTO="static"
> DEVICE="ovirtmgmt"
> ONBOOT="yes"
> DELAY="0"
> IPADDR="10.215.1.21"
> NETMASK="255.255.255.0"
> GATEWAY="10.215.1.1"
> --- END ifcfg-ovirtmgmt ---
>
> --- START ifcfg-eno1 ---
> TYPE="Ethernet"
> BOOTPROTO="none"
> DEVICE="eno1"
> ONBOOT="yes"
> BRIDGE="ovirtmgmt"
> --- END ifcfg-eno1 ---

I don't have currently a setup with static addresses, so it's just a guess:
Perhaps you need 'NETWORK='?

> Here is the output of 'brctl show':
>
> --- START ---
> bridge name     bridge id               STP enabled     interfaces
> ;vdsmdummy;             8000.000000000000       no
> ovirtmgmt               8000.fc4dd4f2e238       no              eno1
>                                                         vnet0
> --- END ---
>
> It appears that the bridge exists, but the system (VDSM?) is not recognising
> it nor able to create it.
>
> Any ideas what the issue is?  If you need a look at something else, please
> let me know.  I may not be able to post it until later (my server is remote
> to me until Wednesday so I won;t have immediate access), but I will post
> whatever else you need to have a look at.

Well, you can check/post also vdsm and engine logs.

Adding Dan.

Best,
--
Didi