[ovirt-users] Installation ovirt reports same server of ovirt-engine (production environment)

Yedidyah Bar David didi at redhat.com
Sun Jul 26 05:56:42 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jul 24, 2015 at 11:14 AM, Lionel Caignec <caignec at cines.fr> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i want to install ovirt-reports on the  machine which run the "ovirt-engine", so i'm afraid to "break" my production environment (45 Vms).
> The admin manual (http://www.ovirt.org/Ovirt_Reports) say to run "engine-setup" command, the same one used to initilized my ovirt-engine cluster.
>
> So my questions :
> Can i install this package without break the production on the same server which already run "ovirt-engine"?

Yes, in principle.

In practice take into account that you are actually performing also a complete
engine "upgrade" (to same version if none newer is available), so prepare
accordingly (backup etc).

> The last question before validate tell "During execution engine service will be stopped". Is my guests will continue to run?

They will, but management will not be available, nor HA for VMs.

engine-setup when installing reports will take somewhat longer, expect up
to 10-20 minutes, less if faster system.

Note that you need also ovirt-dwh to actually collect data. This used to be
an automatic dependency in <=3.4, but in 3.5 each can run on its own machine.
You might want to do that too, depending on your requirements/env/etc.
You probably already know that if you got that far, because if you do not have
dwh installed you are asked about credentials for its DB.

Please report back about any problems.

Best,
--
Didi