[ovirt-users] Ubuntu guest doesn't reboot properly

Alan Murrell lists at murrell.ca
Sun Jul 26 09:34:40 UTC 2015

I have an Ubuntu 14.04 guest (actually Zentyal server).  Guest additions
are installed from respository (and even displays the extra info like IP
address, host name, memory use) in the oVirt dash board.

Whenever I either reboot the guest or shut it down, it never seems to
come up properly.  It shows that it is powered on and it responds to
ping, but I cannot SSH in (says connection refused).  The SPICE console
display just shows black with some slightly coloured bars in the upper
left of the screen, so I am unable to determine what stage of the boot
process it is on and/or if it is even at a login screen.

I have a Windows 7 guest VM that reboots with no issue.  I currently do
not have another Linux guest VM to test with, but I plan on installing a
Debian guest, CentOS guest, as well as a "vanilla" Ubuntu 14.04 guest to
see if it is a Linux thing, and Ubuntu thing, or just something odd with
the Zentyal spin of Ubuntu.

I will report on my results (it may take a bit), but I wanted to check
here to see if anyone else has already troubleshot this and what the
findings and conclusions were?

Thanks! :-)

-Alan