[ovirt-users] Need Advice on Hosted Engine installation

wodel youchi wodel.youchi at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 19:13:36 UTC 2015

Hi,

We are installing a new ovirt platform for a client. this is our first
deployment.

we chose Hosted Engine install.

here is the hardware used and the network configuration used be patient :)

We have 02 hypervisors for now.

each sever has 8 nic ports, we will use bonding.

A NAS with nfs4 for the Engine_VM the ISO and Export domains.

And iSCSI SAN for the rest of the VMs (Data domain)

At first we chose as a network configuration:

10.0.0.X/16 as DMZ (ovirtmgmt will use this network)

172.16.1/24 as Storage network. we've configured our nfs to export only on
this network.

-----------------
We didn't configure the bonding manually at first, we thought that we could
do it once the engine is up.... we couldn't :-(

for ovirtmgmt, if we create the bond after the engine's installation, we
could not modify the configuration, error message "network in use"

for the storage network, we could't attach this logical network to the nic
used for the storage, because when we do that we loose the connexion to nfs
for the VM engine...

so we had to export the VM engine nfs's share on DMZ and we had to
configure bonding before starting the hosted engine installation.

We also configured bonding on storage network, but after the engine
installation, we couldn't attach this bonding to the logical network
Storage, error message "you have to specify network address if static
protocol is used", the IP address is specified, it's the IP address of the
bonding... :-(

Questions:

- Do we missed anything on network configuration capabilities of ovirt? or
the hosted engine is really a special case?
- What is the best way to configure ovirt's Hosted Engine storage?
- For the rest of the network, do we have to configure bonding and bridging
from the GUI only? (not manually)

thanks in advance.