[ovirt-users] Ovirt PXE boot wierdness

Edson Manners emanners at fsu.edu
Tue Jun 9 07:59:32 UTC 2015

I'm running oVirt 3.5 newly installed with one test VM.

I have the engine running on separate HW with eth0 being the management
interface

I have 2 compute nodes with eth0 being the management interface and eth1
having a vlan trunk with all of the VM networks

If I install a guest from the CD image it all works fine and picks up an
IP from the DHCP server.
However if I switch the boot order to PXE first the gPXE DHCP request
times out. Using tcpdump I can see the DHCP discovery packets get as far
out as the physical trunk interfact eth1 (i.e. it gets past all of the
virtual interfaces) but any other machines in that same VLAN don't see
the DHCP request and neither does the DHCP server.

My network settings are:
Name: TestCluster
External Provider: NO
Network label: TC
Enable VLAN tagging: 306
VM network: YES
MTU: Default 1500

Under 'Setup Host Networks'
Boot Protocol: DHCP

Any ideas?

- (Stolen from) Dag Wieers

Edson Manners
Systems Administrator, Research Computing Center
FSU Information Technology Services
Dirac Science Library., Room 150B
Tallahassee, Florida 32303-4120