[ovirt-users] problems with power management using idrac7 on r620

Jason Keltz jason.keltz at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 20:08:35 UTC 2015

Hi.

I've been having problem with power management using iDRAC 7 EXPRESS on
a Dell R620.  This uses a shared LOM as opposed to Enterprise that has a
dedicated one.   Every now and then, idrac simply stops responding to
ping, so it can't respond to status commands from the proxy.  If I send
a reboot with "ipmitool mc reset cold" command, the idrac reboots and
comes back, but after the problem has occurred, even after a reboot, it
responds to ping, but drops 80+% of packets.  The only way I can "solve"
the problem is to physically restart the server.    This isn't just
happening on  one R620 - it's happening on all of my ovirt hosts.  I
highly suspect it has to do with a memory leak, and being monitored by
engine causes the problem.    I had applied a recent firmware upgrade
that was supposed to "solve" this kind of problem, but it doesn't.  In
other to provide Dell with more details, can someone tell me how often
each host is being queried for status?  I can't seem to find that info.
The idrac on my file server doesn't seem to exhibit the same problem,
and I suspect that is because it isn't being queried.

Thanks,

Jason.