[ovirt-users] LDAP bind DN generation problem

Mitja Mihelič mitja.mihelic at arnes.si
Fri Jun 19 10:39:14 UTC 2015

On 18/06/15 14:49, Ondra Machacek wrote:
> On 06/18/2015 02:07 PM, Mitja Mihelič wrote:
>> Hi!
> Hi
>>
>> We just upgaded oVirt from 3.4 to 3.5 and now users cannot select the
>> LDAP domain on the login screen. Only internal is available.
>> Our LDAP server is actually a 389DS instance and we are using for
>> authentication in oVirt without Kerberos. The existing setup has
>> worked since the days of 3.2.
>>
>> When we try to validate the domain, we get
>> [root at brda ~]# engine-manage-domains validate
>> Error: Cannot authenticate user ovirt to domain guest.arnes.si,
>> details: [LDAP: error code 32 - No Such Object]; nested exception is
>> javax.naming.AuthenticationException: [LDAP: error code 32 - No Such
>> Object]
>> Failure while testing domain guest.arnes.si. Details: Cannot
>> authenticate user to LDAP server.
>>
>> The LDAP log reports
>> [18/Jun/2015:13:52:38 +0200] conn=3 op=0 BIND
>> dn="uid=ovirt,ou=Peopledc=guest,dc=arnes,dc=si" method=128 version=3
>> As you can see there is a comma missing before "dc=guest,dc=arnes,dc=si".
>>
>> Before the upgrade the bind DN was generated properly as
>> [18/Jun/2015:12:42:45 +0200] conn=10219 op=0 BIND
>> dn="uid=ovirt,ou=People,dc=arnes,dc=si" method=128 version=3
>
> So what is your search user's DN ?
> Is it:
> dn="uid=ovirt,ou=People,dc=guest,dc=arnes,dc=si"
>
> or
>
> dn="uid=ovirt,ou=People,dc=arnes,dc=si"
>
> Is it possible for you to try if different user works fine?
> Because user with very similar DN works for me just OK.
At the time of posting I did not notice the difference, thanks for the
spot. The correct DN is dn="uid=ovirt,ou=People,dc=arnes,dc=si".
Although that means that after upgrading to 3.5 the DN for the search
user is formatted differently when issuing an LDAP bind request.

In the end we noticed that the AAA part of oVirt was reworked in 3.5. We
deleted the old LDAP domain, that we manually inserted into the database
back in 3.2 days. Then we added LDAP as an authentication source as per
AAA instructions, which we found a bit vague. The README on github for
the AAA extension provided most of the information.

We also found that the format of external_id in the users table had been
changed from fdfc627c-d875-11e0-90f0-83df133b58cc to
fdfc627c-d87511e0-90f083df-133b58cc. So naturally users could not log
in. Instead additional users were created with this new format
external_id, a namespace with "dc=arnes,dc=si" and a new user_id.
We manually deleted the faux users, updated the external_id to the new
format and added a namespace entry for existing users.
That worked for us.

Kind regards, Mitja