[ovirt-users] Where do you run oVirt? Here are the answers!

Sandro Bonazzola sbonazzo at redhat.com
Tue Mar 3 11:56:30 UTC 2015

Hi,
This is a summary of the 85 response we got to the last month poll. Thanks everyone who answered!

Which distribution are you using for running ovirt-engine?
Fedora 20	8	9%
CentOS 6	52	61%
CentOS 7	22	26%
Other		3	4%

Which distribution are you using for your nodes?
Fedora 20	6	7%
CentOS 6	40	47%
CentOS 7	31	36%
oVirt Node	6	7%
Other		2	2%

In Other: RHEL 6.6, 7.0, 7.1 and a mixed environment of CentOS 6 and 7.

Do you use Hosted Engine?
Yes	42	49%
No	42	49%

Would you like to share more info on your datacenter, vms,...? Tell us about it

oVirt is so AWESOME! I luv it.
--
"We currently run engine on CentOS 6 as CentOS 7 was not yet supported. We plan on migrating it to a CentOS 7 machine.
Our nodes are currently CentOS 6 but are planning to migrate to CentOS 7. (For the nodes a checkbox for each distribution would be better than the

--
FC Storage (Dell md3620f and IBM Blade-S internal SAS storage)

--
Please provide ceph support and built in backup tools

--
"3 separate virtual RHEV datacenters, test, dev, prod.
Use direct attach fibre channel luns for application storage heavily on VMs to take advantage of snapshot/restore features on our array.

--
"2 nodes running centos 6.6 from SSD (i3 35w 32GB)
1x NFS datastore
1x ISO datastore
1 node running NFS (i3 35w 8GB, Dell PERC sas controller)
All 3 nodes connected via 10Gb ethernet
Between 9 en 15 VM's depending on my tests
Always active
- Zimbra
- ldap/dhcp
- web/php
- devel/php
- pfsense
Develop/test
- Hadoop
- Openstack
- Gluster
- ms..."

--
"- 4 nodes for KVM, 4 nodes for GlusterFS.
- 1Gigabit for management and 4Gigabit channel bonding for GlusterFS replica.

--
"30 hvs NFS storage over infiniband, custom portal for task automation and classroom abstraction via API"

--
"We use atm local storage.
Current running vm count is over 100.

--
"Storage GlusterFS (Virt+Gluster on Nodes), and FreeNAS via NFS"

--
"- iSCSI dedicated network
- 2x Poweredge M1000e chassis (so, 2 x 16 blades)"

--
Yes it's NIELIT  a gov agency to provide various trannig on virtual environment

--
"Running production engine on CentOS6 with CentOS6 nodes.
Test/Staging environemtn based on CentOS7 and CentOS7 nodes, Hosted-engine on iSCSI."

--
"Mix of Dell, HP, UCS for compute
Netapp for NAS, VNX for FC"

--
"Cloud used for CI purpose, made from about ""old"" 50 desktop PCs (and still growing) with Celerons, i3, i5 and few i7. VMs are ""light"" nodes for
Jenkins (2GB-6GB/2-4cores). Some resources are utilized for cloud's services like vpn, zabbix, httpd, etc. As storage we use MooseFS!"

--
"This is a sample config for the few installes I have performed, but ideal for a small office.
2x nodes - CentOS 6 with SSD boot and 2x 2TB drives and 2 gluster volumes spread over the 2 - 1 for vm storage and 1 for file storage

--
"I think that we really need more troubleshooting tools and guides more than anything.  There are various logs, but there is no reason why we
shouldn't be publishing some of this information to the engine UI and even automating certain self-healing.

--
"Have FC only. Using SVC. Behind it now DS4700. Going to have other storages too.
This is BYOD.

--
"One node cluster with local storage for education, POC etc. at home."

--
No

--
Combo glusterfs storage and vm hosted nodes. Will be migrating engine to centos 7 at some point. Wish libgfapi was properly supported now that it's
feasible.

--
3 x Supermicro A1SAi-2750F nodes (16 GiB RAM + 8 TiB storage + 8x1GiB/s Ethernet each) with hyperconverged GlusterFS (doubling as an NFS/CIFS storage
cluster)

--
"running 15 vms, for univ apps (LMS/SIS/etc), using dual freeIPA (vms), glusterfs (replicated-distributed-10G net)"

--
"Tried to install hosted engine on Centos 7, but ran into issues and went for Fedora20 instead. Fedora20 installation was pretty much problem free.
Using NFS on Synology NAS for vm disks."

--
"3 clusters, 1 gluster storage cluster, 50 TB total disk space, with 4 hosts all volumes replica 3
2 virtualisation clusters, SandyBridge with 5 hosts, Nehelem with 2 hosts

--
I use oVirt since version 3.0. The evolution of this project is outstanding. The biggest unsolved problem is that there is no good backup solution for
oVirt.

--
Modest server with all-in-one oVirt installation.

--
"oVirt is for Testing actually, I should say validate. We use Xen Open Source and plan to migrate to oVirt during this year."

--
"4 nodes, 30 VM's (10 are HA), ISO and export domain on NAS, local drives shared over NFS between nodes, one FC primary storage domain 1TB. Engine is
a KVM VM on a CentOS host."

--
"5 hosts, FC "

--
Development system for working with other Open Source projects.

--
"1. DATA_DOMAIN - HP P2000 G3 FC
2. Nodes - Intel server boards SB2400BB

--
We are developing VDI solution based on oVirt/KVM/SPICE.

--
So I answered for my largest oVirt cluster. I actually have several

--
"Create multiple VM using ovirt in order to provide platform as a service in my campus environment.
All the VM(s) created will be used to run web based application for the purpose of final year project presentation.

--
"small lab environment, ~10 nodes, ~20-30 VMs. "

--
Ovirt 3.4.4 with 16 VDSM Nodes and 170 virtual machines. We currently use Direct attached disks from our ISCSI SAN and we use the snapshot and
replication features of the SAN (Dell Equallogic).

--
"Lab @Home
SuperMicro mainboard with 1 x Xeon quad core cpu (Sandy Bridge)

--
"IBM Blade Center.
1 Engine

--
"We started looking at OVIRT a while ago and it had come a long way. My only objection to migrating it into our production is the issues we have with
the network interfaces (bonded VLAN tags on the mgmt) and their removal on boot/reboot. Other than that we have fully tested multi-cluster glusterized

--
Storage is ZFS shared over NFS via dual 10 gbit links. Running 15 nodes now.

--
We will upgrade up CentOS7 soon

--
"2 FC datacenters, 4 VNX SAN, 2 4To Lun,  25 hosts on 2 physical sites, 180 centos server vms. We used to recycle all our old servers (1950, 2950, G6
etc..) to get additional vCPU and RAM,  but it has no more interest since we got 4 new r630 chassis with 128 Go of RAM and 40 vCPUs per server. So the

--
"2 production setups in different DC, beginning their history from ovirt-3.2, thus centos6 and no hosted-engine.
dell m1000e bladesystem + fc storage in first one; hp dl580 g7 + fc storage in second. ~150 vms in each"

--
Storage is ZFS shared over NFS via dual 10 gbit links. Running 15 nodes now.

--
"Just started using Ovirt, we're using supermicro microcloud servers with 32GB memory and quad core E3-1241v3 Xeons.
We're using the jenkins builds of ovirt-node since there isn't a recent ovirt-node build. "

--
Hyorvisor used also as replica glusterfs nodes.

--
"We run about 20 VMs on 3 proliant machines with a msa backed shared storage.
We have migrated dec/jan to oVirt and I am a big fan of the virtualization solution. We ran VPS before on Virtuozzo, but it did not provide out of the

--
Sandro Bonazzola
See how it works at redhat.com