[ovirt-users] Host/storage OS upgrade: VM migrate?

Darrell Budic budic at onholyground.com
Thu Mar 5 17:26:02 UTC 2015

In theory you can do this, but it takes a bit of work.

I migrated a cent 6 system to a cent 7 and kept my gluster bricks intact by backing up and restoring /etc/gluster and /var/lib/gluster, as well as the bricks themselves. Your milage may vary. I was also working on a multi-server system and was in a position to rebuild the bricks from the running systems if needed. And I needed to for one set, so it wasn’t perfect. If you go this route, make sure you backup your engine and restore it as well, a simple copy of your storage domain is not enough to keep a VM in ovirt (although you can probably import the volume as an existing domain and get the disks back).

Might be safer to setup an export domain on an external drive and export your VMs to it, then you can import them to a clean new system after your upgrade. Way less to go wrong with this approach, so I’d probably recommend it.

  -Darrell