[ovirt-users] oVirt / ROM images / PXE

Chris Adams cma at cmadams.net
Fri Mar 6 21:51:48 UTC 2015

Once upon a time, Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com> said:
> Good data point! Can you tell me the compatibility version of your
> data center and its cluster(s)? How about the cluster CPU type?

One DC, one cluster, version 3.5.  Intel Nehalem CPU.  I've PXE booted
CentOS 5, 6, and 7 VMs (64 bit for all and 32 bit for 5/6).

I'd suspect something in the network setup.  I have VLANs on an 802.1q
trunk on an LACP bond (with oVirt bridging the VLANs to VMs).  My DHCP
server (separate physical CentOS 6 box) is also running VLANs on 802.1q
on LACP bond, with dnsmasq listening on one VLAN.

I'd look at traffic coming out of the VM on the node, and coming into
the DHCP server, and see who sees what (are the requests coming out of
the VM, is the DHCP server seeing them, is it replying, does the VM get
the reply).

If the DHCP requests are making it to the server, the next thing to see
is if there is any difference in the DHCP options requested between the
different ROM images (maybe your DHCP config isn't matching up correctly
in some case that works on mine?).

--
Chris Adams <cma at cmadams.net>