[ovirt-users] Error during hosted-engine-setup for 3.5.1 on F20 (Cannot add the host to cluster ... SSH has failed)

Simone Tiraboschi stirabos at redhat.com
Mon Mar 9 16:53:04 UTC 2015

----- Original Message -----

This is enough by itself to make the deploy procedure failing. If possible we recommend to rely a DNS infrastructure especially if you are deploying more than one host.

> After adding it to /etc/hosts (both hostname and FQDN), when I try to ssh
> from root at engine to root at host it is prompting me for a password.
>
> On my engine, ~root/.ssh does not contain any keys.
> On my host, ~root/.ssh has authorized_keys, and in it there is a key with the
> comment "ovirt-engine".
>
> It's possible that I inadvertently removed ~root/.ssh on engine while I was
> preparing the engine (I started to set up my own no-password logins and then
> thought better and cleaned up, not realizing that some prior setup affecting
> that directory had occurred). That would explain the second issue.

No, it's OK: the private key is contained in /etc/pki/ovirt-engine/keys/engine.p12

> How/when does the key for root at engine get populated to the host's
> ~root/.ssh/authenticated_keys during setup?

It's part of hosted-engine deploy procedure: when the engine setup on the VM it's completed, it gathers the engine SSH public key from http://{enginefqdn}/engine.ssh.key.txt and it stores it under ~root/.ssh/authenticated_keys to make the engine able to add the host without knowing the host root password.
Than hosted-engine setup contacts the engine via REST APIs to trigger the host setup procedure.

If the engine wasn't able to contact the host due to bad hostname resolution as we pointed out, you missed some steps to have a safe deployment.