[ovirt-users] VDSM memory consumption

Dan Kenigsberg danken at redhat.com
Mon Mar 9 22:19:23 UTC 2015

On Mon, Mar 09, 2015 at 12:17:00PM -0500, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Dan Kenigsberg <danken at redhat.com> said:
> > I'm afraid that we are yet to find a solution for this issue, which is
> > completly different from the horrible leak of supervdsm < 4.16.7.
> >
> > Could you corroborate the claim of
> >     Bug 1147148 - M2Crypto usage in vdsm leaks memory
> > ? Does the leak disappear once you start using plaintext transport?
>
> So, to confirm, it looks like to do that, the steps would be:
>
> - In the [vars] section of /etc/vdsm/vdsm.conf, set "ssl = false".
> - Restart the vdsmd service.
>
> Is that all that is needed?

No. You'd have to reconfigure libvirtd to work in plaintext

    vdsm-tool congfigure --force

and also set you Engine to work in plaintext (unfortunately, I don't
recall how's that done. surely Yaniv does)

> Is it safe to restart vdsmd on a node with
> active VMs?

It's safe in the sense that I have not heard of a single failure to
reconnected to already-running VMs in years. However, this is still not
recommended for production environment, and particularly not if one of
the VMs is defined as highly-available. This can end up with your host
being fenced and all your VMs dead.

Dan.