[ovirt-users] Getting Spice agent to work properly with Ubuntu 14.04.2

Bob Doolittle bobddroid at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 14:30:34 UTC 2015

On 03/12/2015 08:34 AM, Bob Doolittle wrote:

> On Mar 12, 2015 7:52 AM, "David Jaša" <djasa at redhat.com <mailto:djasa at redhat.com>> wrote:
>>
>> On St, 2015-03-11 at 16:09 -0400, Bob Doolittle wrote:
>> > I'm configuring a new Ubuntu desktop VM, with 14.04.2.
>> >
>> > I've installed ovirt-guest-agent and spice-vdagent. But when I connect to the console I get 640x480 resolution only. Resizing the console window does not change the underlying desktop resolution.
>> >
>> > I saw in the Wiki that I should install xserver-xorg-video-qxl, but when I attempt to do so the installation fails, saying I have some broken dependencies:
>> >
>> > The following packages have unmet dependencies:
>> >  xserver-xorg-video-qxl : Depends: xorg-video-abi-15
>> >                           Depends: xserver-xorg-core (>= 2:1.14.99.902)
>> > E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
>> >

>> > If I try to install xorg-video-abi-15 or xserver-xorg-core, it also fails. They depend on a bunch of packages which say "not going to be installed".
>> >
>> > Anybody know what's going on here? Is the Ubuntu repository broken?
>>
>> Definitely. Alternatively, your package management keeps you at old
>> xserver-xorg-core version that conflicts with available qxl driver.
>>
>> Agents are completely unrelated to this issue, both xorg core and qxl
>> driver are part of Ubuntu repos.
>
> No. The point is that installing the agent requires us to configure a special repository which holds the ovirt-guest-agent package. That repository could well hold packages which conflict with the versions required in the latest ubuntu repos.

Never mind, I've ruled that out. I started a new VM, installed the 14.04.2 Desktop distro, did an apt-get update + dist-upgrade, and tried to install these two packages and got the same error. So it is definitely isolated to their repositories, as you suggested.

Anybody know the proper mailing list or chat room to report a problem with the Ubuntu repositories?

Thanks,
    Bob