[ovirt-users] Initial Network Config for Engine & Hosts?

Bellamy, Peter BELLAP at rpi.edu
Sat Mar 14 15:48:08 UTC 2015

I’m coming from running straight KVM/libvirt on RHEL6, so I’m used to manually configuring all NIC, Bond, VLAN-tagged Bond & Bridge interfaces by editing ifcfg-* files.

Installing oVirt 3.5, I discovered that my pre-configured bridges caused the creation of the ovirtmgmt interface to fail during install/config (engine-setup), so I had to create the ovirtmgmt bridge interface manually as well (or else remove all of my pre-configured bridges?)

At this point, I have a single engine & 2 hosts setup for testing but I’m confused by the NIC configuration.

I see the Web Admin Portal allows me to graphically configure the NICs, bonds, bridges, etc, but I’m not sure if that means I should undo all of my manually configured interfaces, and if so, how much of the config I should undo? Or to put it in other words, what my initial network config should look like on my engine and hosts when I start oVirt install/config.

My basic NW config currently looks like this:

2 physical NICs, bonded.  That bond split into multiple VLANs (one of which is the ovirtmgmt VLAN/bridge).  Each of those VLAN interfaces, configured as a bridge for use by hosts/VMs.

2 more physical NICs, also bonded, VLAN’d and bridged.

Additional unused physical NICs.  (Should I use one of them as a dedicated ovirtmgmt interface/bridge?)

Any and all advice greatly appreciated.

-pkb