[ovirt-users] Hosted Engine on oVirt Node Hypervisor

Fabian Deutsch fdeutsch at redhat.com
Wed Mar 25 08:43:56 UTC 2015

Hey Jason,

----- Original Message -----
> I'm setting up some new oVirt infrastructure, and wanted to give hosted
> engine a try.  I downloaded and installed the oVirt Node Hypervisor ISO
> (3.5-0.999.201502231653.el7.centos) on one of 3 nodes.  One of the
> options in the hypervisor menu is "Hosted Engine".  This requires an
> "Engine ISO/OVA URL for download".  The thing is - as far as I can tell,
> there is no download link for this ISO/OVA on the ovirt release web
> site.  I also can't find anything in the documentation that refers to it
> (or even this menu in the hypervisor). I did find this after some searching:

Yes, you are right, the documentation of Hosted Engine is currently ... sparse.

> http://jenkins.ovirt.org/user/fabiand/my-views/view/Node/job/ovirt-appliance_engine-3.5_master_merged/oVirt-Engine-Appliance-CentOS-x86_64-7-20150319.424.ova
>
> (Now replaced with a build from 0322).  I asked on the ovirt IRC channel
> and was told that this "might" work, but because of new functionality
> introduced recently that it also might not. If the feature is available
> in the node ISO, shouldn't there be an appropriate release of the hosted
> engine ISO/OVA that works hand in hand with the node that I've
> downloaded?   If it's not there because it isn't ready, isn't this
> functionality something that should be added to maybe a "beta" node
> release and tested before being released into the stable node hypervisor
> release?

Yes, the problem here is with the ovirt-appliance.
We did not start building images based on the 3.5 status of the appliance.

I'll see if we can get up a builder for the ovirt-3.5 branch up quickly.

> I asked on the IRC channel whether it might be possible for me to
> kickstart my own engine from the node.  I ran into trouble with that as
> well.   On the installed node, I can only configure one network
> interface.  This is, of course, intended to enable ovirtmgmt for
> communication with engine which would take over and configure everything
> else for you.  Of course, when you don't yet have engine installed and
> need to get it, this leads to a chicken and egg problem.  To kickstart
> engine on node, I need an IP (from mgmt), an image (I guess it could
> come from the mgmt network), but then I also need access to the external
> network (on another NIC) to be able to install the appropriate ovirt yum
> repository, and download the engine!  If I installed my own node
> manually instead if using ISO, I guess I could configure the network,
> and make it work, but I'm trying to take advantage of the work that has
> already been put into node to make this all possible.

I believe I saw a corresponding bug for what you described above.

Does it help if you temporarily add a route to your management network's
router, which enables the hosted-engine host to access the relevant networks
(external, storage, …)?

Greetings
fabian