[ovirt-users] Error during CanDoActionFailure.: java.lang.NullPointerException

Roel de Rooy RdeRooy at motto.nl
Thu Mar 26 23:54:32 UTC 2015

Hi all,

For backup purposes, I have created a python script which will create a snaphot (disk only) from the specified virtual machine, clone it, export the clone to export disk and afterwards remove both the clone and snapshot (we are using F20 with virt-preview enabled).
Unfortunately our only Windows virtual machine (Windows Server 2012) is unable to create a clone from the just created snapshot.
When trying to do this manually, the following message is visible within the oVirt GUI, when clicking on the Clone button:

"General command validation failure"

I have attached the error which is visible whitin the engine log.
Directly after the lock is acquired a CanDoActionFailure is visible.

I am going to try and do the same when the VM is powered down (unfortunately I cannot just turn this machine off at any time), but I'm wondering if somebody has experienced this before with a Windows machine; as this works perfectly with all our Linux virtual machines

Many thanks,
Roel