[ovirt-users] PXE boot of a VM on vdsm don't read DHCP offer

NUNIN Roberto Roberto.Nunin at comifar.it
Wed May 6 09:09:54 UTC 2015

Hi all

We are using oVirt engine 3.5.1-0.0 on Centos 6.6
We are deploying two hosts with vdsm-4.16.10-8.gitc937927.el7.x86_64
No hosted-engine, it run on a dedicates VM, outside oVirt.

Behavior: PXE boot of a VM, ends in timeout (0x4c106035), instead to accept the DHCP offer coming from DHCP server.
Tcpdump capture started on the vdsm host, bond0 interface shows clearly that DHCP offers reach the vdsm interfaces three times before PXE client ends in timeout.
Incoming DHCP offer is correctly tagged when it comes to the bond0 interface and forwarded to the bond0.bridge interface.
PXE simply ignore it. PXE version is gPXE 0.9.7.
bond0.bridge interface is already setup with STP=off and DELAY=0.

If we install a VM using command  line boot parameters, VM install & run fine. The issue is only related to PXE process, when it is expected to use the DHCP offer.

I can provide tcpdump capture, but I've not attached to the email because I'm quite new of the community and don't know if it is allowed/correct.

On another host, under the same engine, running vdsm-4.16.12-7.gita30da75.el6.x86_64 on Centos6.6, this behavior is not happening, everything works fine.

Any idea/suggestion/further investigation ?
Thanks for attention
Best regards

Roberto Nunin
Infrastructure Manager
Italy

Here are interfaces configs:
eno1:
DEVICE="eno1"
HWADDR="38:63:bb:4a:47:b0"
MASTER="bond0"
NM_CONTROLLED="no"
ONBOOT="yes"
SLAVE="yes"
eno2:
DEVICE="eno2"
HWADDR="38:63:bb:4a:47:b4"
MASTER="bond0"
NM_CONTROLLED="no"
ONBOOT="yes"
SLAVE="yes"
bond0:
BONDING_OPTS="mode=4 miimon=100"
DEVICE="bond0"
NM_CONTROLLED="no"
ONBOOT="yes"
TYPE="Bond"
bond0.3500:
DEVICE=bond0.3500
VLAN=yes
BRIDGE=DMZ3_DEV
ONBOOT=no
MTU=1500
NM_CONTROLLED=no
HOTPLUG=no
DMZ3_DEV:
DEVICE=DMZ3_DEV
TYPE=Bridge
DELAY=0
STP=off
ONBOOT=no
MTU=1500
DEFROUTE=no
NM_CONTROLLED=no
HOTPLUG=no

Questo messaggio e' indirizzato esclusivamente al destinatario indicato e potrebbe contenere informazioni confidenziali, riservate o proprietarie. Qualora la presente venisse ricevuta per errore, si prega di segnalarlo immediatamente al mittente, cancellando l'originale e ogni sua copia e distruggendo eventuali copie cartacee. Ogni altro uso e' strettamente proibito e potrebbe essere fonte di violazione di legge.

This message is for the designated recipient only and may contain privileged, proprietary, or otherwise private information. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately, deleting the original and all copies and destroying any hard copies. Any other use is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.