[ovirt-users] autologin into vm desktop

Juan Hernández jhernand at redhat.com
Thu May 7 09:29:38 UTC 2015

On 05/07/2015 05:25 AM, Adolfo wrote:
> :`(... after looking at this, this is not what i was looking for (but
> almost).
>
> This API call seems to make logon on desktop using "the credentials of
> the client. I mean, we can't pass the user credentials (as with
> vdsClient), ovirt takes them from their own. (I think that from user
> that makes the API call).
>
> I need to pass the "username" "password" "domain" data in a way similar
> to this, but be able to do it without registering the user inside ovirt,
> making a call with the users credentials, etc... so back to beginning i
> guess... :(
>
> Anyway, thank you very much for taking your time for helping me ;-)
>
> Regards,
>
> Adolfo gómez

If your broker has the credentials of the user then you can connect to
the API using those credentials, and invoke the "logon" operation,
something like this:

---8<---
#!/bin/sh -ex

curl \
--verbose \
--cacert /the/path/to/the/ca/cert \
--request POST \
--user "myuser at mydomain:mypassword" \
--header "Content-Type: application/xml" \
--header "Accept: application/xml" \
--data '
<action/>
' \
"https://engine.example.com/ovirt-engine/api/vms/myvm/login"
--->8---

> El 07/05/2015 a las 5:10, Adolfo escribió:
>> O.o that is what i was looking for!!!... Has to take a BIG look at
>> it... ;)
>>
>> Thank you very much again, i was looking for this, but after
>> "googling" a lot didn't found it!!! ;)
>>
>> Adolfo Gómez
>>

>> El 07/05/2015 a las 5:05, Dan Yasny escribió:
>>> ...and it looks like in the latest versions the REST API
>>> has //vms/{vmid}/logon/
>>> /
>>> /
>>> /https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Virtualization/3.5/html/Technical_Guide/sect-Actions5.html#Enable_user_logon_to_access_a_virtual_machine_from_an_external_console
>>> /
>>>
>>> On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 10:55 PM, Dan Yasny <dyasny at gmail.com
>>> <mailto:dyasny at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>>     You can pass the credentials directly to the guest agent using
>>>     vdsClient on the host, among other things:
>>>
>>>     desktopLock
>>>             <vmId>
>>>             Logoff current user
>>>     desktopLogin
>>>             Login to vmId desktop using the supplied credentials
>>>     desktopLogoff
>>>             <vmId> <force>
>>>             Lock user session. force should be set to true/false
>>>
>>>     Will probably require key based remote ssh execution, and API
>>>     calls to the engine, to determine the host and VM UUID
>>>
>>>     On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 10:45 PM, Adolfo <agomez at virtualcable.es
>>>     <mailto:agomez at virtualcable.es>> wrote:
>>>
>>>         I know, but this all is used from "ovirt portal", and we are
>>>         only using ovirt api, the portal is provided by own broker :)
>>>
>>>         I'm currently looking at the code of vdsClient, to see if i
>>>         can replicate the "desktopLogin" feature.
>>>
>>>         This was why i was wondering if this is the place to post
>>>         this, because it's more related to "development", but not to
>>>         de development of ovirt itself (or yes, don't know right
>>>
>>>         Thank you
>>>
>>>         Adolfo Gómez

3ºD, 28016 Madrid, Spain