[ovirt-users] Vdsm Disk Images - preallocation vs thin provision

Maor Lipchuk mlipchuk at redhat.com
Tue May 12 13:46:58 UTC 2015

Hi ml,

oVirt should not prevent you from creating 11 thin provisioned disks.
Thin provisioning lets you create disks with minimum initial size and while the VM writes data to them, they will get extended every time needed.
file system usually manages the initial size of the file and the extension process.
For Block Storage Domains such as iSCSI and FC, it is VDSM which responsible to extend the disk every time it gets to a certain watermark.

Regards,
Maor